News Update

Community Calendar for Thursday, July 9th, 2020

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Thursday, July 9th, 2020.
First, some news…
Governor Whitmer was on C-N-N last night saying that she hopes to allow schools to open this fall for in person classes, but she won’t do it if it is not safe—and she says she is very concerned about that now. If the Governor sticks to the plan announced a few weeks ago, schools will open for in person classes if they are in a zone of the state that is at Phase 4 or higher of her recovery plan. Here on the island, our zone is now in Phase 5.
A look at the current and historical COVID-19 data for northern Michigan shows that things would have to deteriorate dramatically for the region to drop back to Phase 3 or below. Downstate, the picture is less clear.
State-wide numbers reported yesterday showed the biggest batch of new cases since late May with 610 new ones confirmed. That brings the running average to 444, where it hasn’t been since mid-May. Ten deaths were reported. Running average is at nine. Those numbers bring the total cases in Michigan to 67,237 with 6,015 deaths. State-wide, officials report 52,841 recoveries. Taking into account deaths, that leaves 7,780 active cases.
On the island, no change in the data. Still at 96 tests run. 93 tests results back. 92 negatives. Still only one back as positive. Three tests still pending.
In our region, the confirmed case count is up five cases to 316. Leelanau up two to 28. Grand Traverse up one to 68. Emmet up one to 28. And Antrim up one to 23. Death toll is at 22. Full county by county data are in today’s script. [Otsego confirmed case count is at 106 with 10 deaths. Grand Traverse is at 68 cases with six deaths. Emmet is at 28 with two deaths. Leelanau at 28, no deaths. Kalkaska has 28 confirmed cases two deaths. Charlevoix has 26 cases including one from the island, and two deaths. Antrim 23 cases, still no deaths. And Benzie is at 9 cases and no deaths.] U-P is up eight to 227. Death toll is stable at 18.
Looking at data for our region of the state as defined in the recovery plan, the new case rate per million ran up from mid-June to July 1st, but has been falling so far this month. Meanwhile, the daily testing rate hit its all-time high for the region on Saturday with 1,201 tests run. Positive results have been inching up since mid-June when they were at point six percent. They are now at 2.4 percent, but still classified as representing a low risk. Nevertheless, state official yesterday moved our region and the U-P from their low risk bucket to a medium risk because of increased cases and increased positive tests.
Now, here’s what’s happening on your island.
Today, Farmer’s Market 9 to 11 at Paradise Bay Coffee shop. Also, tomorrow, pickleball is on. They are playing Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays on the municipal courts outside if the weather is nice. If it gets nasty, they’ll be inside here at the BIC Center. Tomorrow afternoon, Games Galore is available here at the BIC Center from one to four.
Friday, still unclear if Art in the Harbor is a go. There’s concern it will be too hot out in front of the BIC Center, so a shady site is being considered. We’ll keep you posted. But, the Arthritis Foundation Exercise program is on for sure up in Ray and Ann’s Hangout.
After a pause for the holiday, movies are back here at the BIC Center this weekend. Movies on Saturday are an animated version of the Hobbit at 4 and the Expendables 3 at 7. Trailers and more info are on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org. Concession stand will be open for snacks, a meal or both. Sunday, worship services are on at Holy Cross, the Christian Church and the Episcopal Mission. Times and details are on the calendar.
And, coming up this weekend, the Big Read project starts a series of Graveyard Walks and Talks to present the history of the island told through lives of people who made that history. The Walk and Talks will continue every other Sunday through the summer starting at 11:30. Dates are on the calendar; first one is this Sunday.
Meeting planner for next week: Transportation Authority meets Tuesday at noon at their H-Q across from the ferry dock. B-I-A Board Tuesday at 4 at the BIC Center. Peaine Township Planning Commission will meet if they have business Tuesday evening at 5. Peaine Township board Tuesday evening at 7. St. James Public Works has a meeting set for 11 next Wednesday at the Governmental Center. And, Museum Week starts next week. We’ll have details on that tomorrow.
Have you stopped by the BIC Center/WVBI 2020 Gala Auction site yet? With the annual Summer Gala dinner postponed due to COVID, the auction is all online this year. There are all sorts of great items up for bid. Check it out at auction dot BIC center dot org. And, don’t miss your chance to support the BIC Center and W-V-B-I by picking up a ticket to win the 2020 BIC Center-W-V-B-I Raffle. Grand prize is the Tracker fishing and sport boat parked out in front of the BIC Center—it’s just waiting to get in the water. Tickets are available now at the BIC Center front desk. You can also buy them online at raffle dot BIC Center dot org. Or get one from any board member. All proceeds from the Auction and net proceeds from the raffle go to benefit the BIC Center and WVBI.
Keep up to date on COVID-19 news with the W-V-B-I COVID-19 info page. Just go to W-V-B-I dot net and click on COVID-19 Info in the menu at the top. Remember: Protect yourself. Protect the island.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of your McDonough’s Market:
Today Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly between 9am and 10am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Heat index values as high as 100. Southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Tonight Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 69. South wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Friday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 2pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 85. West wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Friday Night A 30 percent chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 63. North wind around 5 mph. Saturday Sunny, with a high near 85. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Sunday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Monday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 63. Tuesday Sunny, with a high near 88. Tuesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 66. Wednesday A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 91.
Out on the big drink…
Today S wind around 10 kt becoming WSW in the afternoon. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 4pm. Waves 1 ft or less. Friday Variable winds 5 kt or less. Showers and thunderstorms likely, mainly before 2pm. Waves 1 ft or less. Saturday NNW wind around 10 kt. Sunny. Waves 1 ft or less.
Fire Danger Level: Extreme. So, no fireworks and no fires except in containments like firepits and grills. Even with those you need to be careful.
TRAFFIC: It is still busy in town when the ferry arrives. And lots of folks are talking to the roads on bikes. So, let’s be careful out there.
BIRTHDAYS: Connie Boyle, Kim Mitchell and Brad Coffell Jr. are celebrating today, sharing a birthday with Tom Hanks. Happy birthday to each of them and, if we missed you on the list, Happy Birthday to you, too, from all of us at the BIC Center and W-V-B-I.
ON THIS DAY in 1995, Jerry Garcia jams at his final concert with the Dead. After delighting Deadheads for decades, Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead play their last concert featuring all the band’s core members at Chicago’s Soldier Field, capping a touring career that logged more than 2,300 concerts. Garcia, their lead guitarist and unofficial spokesman, will die exactly a month later. (bing.com)
WORD OF THE DAY: bromide (noun) [BROH-myde], which means: a binary compound of bromine with another element or a radical including some (such as potassium bromide) used as sedatives; a commonplace or tiresome person: bore; a commonplace or hackneyed statement or notion. After bromine was discovered in the 1820s, chemists could not resist experimenting with the new element. It didn’t take long before they found uses for its compounds, in particular potassium bromide. Potassium bromide started being used as a sedative to treat everything from epilepsy to sleeplessness, and by the 20th century, the word bromide was being used figuratively for anything or anyone that might put one to sleep because of commonness or just plain dullness. Today, bromides are no longer an ingredient in sedative preparations, but we can still feel the effects of figurative bromides as we encounter them in our daily routines.
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island Thursday…
Here’s a thought for the day from William Faulkner: “No man is a failure who is enjoying life.” On a lighter note: What did the therapist tell the jar or jam? “If you’d only open up, people would find you berry nice.”
IMAGINE A SAD TROMBONE SFX
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Thursday, July 9th, 2020. I’m Kevin Boyle, reporting from the pest free Hogarth Pest Control Studios of the Voice of Beaver Island, wishing you a great day and asking: why not go ahead and make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###