News Update

Community Calendar for Monday, July 20th, 2020

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Monday, July 20th, 2020.
First, some news…
Amid swirling controversy over enforcement of her masking order, Governor Whitmer doubled down in another executive order on Friday that tightens requirements. Among other things, it says that businesses must ask customers that don’t have a mask whether they have a medical condition that prevents mask use—rather than assuming that they do have such a condition. Some had expressed concern that asking such questions violates a federal law protecting people with disabilities, but the new order makes clear the question is required. Businesses that fail to enforce the governors order put their licenses at risk. However, masks will not be required at polling places—just encouraged.
Over the weekend, state officials reported big jumps in new cases—1,821 new cases. There were also 18 new deaths recorded, but some of those were reclassifications. That brings totals to 73,663 confirmed cases since mid-March and 6,119 deaths. As of Friday, the state says there are 55, 162 recoveries—which taking into account deaths leaves 12, 382 active cases. Moving average of new cases continues to move up. It’s now at 601. Deaths remain steady, though. Current average per day is 10.
On the island, two more tests have been run bring the total to 124. Four more tests that were pending are back as negative bring that total to 121. Just two tests pending. Still only one positive test and that case is classified as recovered.
In our region, the confirmed case count is up 20 cases to 427. No new deaths. New cases are in Antrim with two, Benzie with five, Charlevoix with one, Grand Traverse with six, Kalkaska with three, Leelanau with four. Otsego had no new cases and Emmet is down one case due to a reclassification. [Antrim 27 cases, still no deaths. Benzie is at 20 cases and one death. Charlevoix has 36 cases including one from the island, and two deaths. Emmet is at 40 with two deaths. Grand Traverse is at 112 cases with six deaths. Kalkaska has 32 confirmed cases three deaths. Leelanau at 51, no deaths. Otsego confirmed case count is at 109 with 10 deaths.] U-P is up 31 cases to 336. Death toll remains the same at 18.
Now, here’s what’s happening on your island.
Meeting planner: Emergency Services Authority meets on Thursday at 2:00 at Peaine Township hall.
For fun, this week, there’s Pickleball on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday at the Municipal Tennis Courts. 10 to noon. They’ll be inside at the BIC Center if the weather gets wet. Tuesday nd Friday, Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program is on up in Ray and Ann’s Hangout at the BIC Center. Wednesday, BINGO at Gregg Fellowship Center. Doors open for fellowship at 6;15. Ganes at 7:00. Thursday is the Farmer’s Market out at Paradise Bay Coffee Shop. That’s 9 to 11. Games Galore in the Hangout from 1 to 4. Friday, Art in the Harboe may give it a go from 10 to noon out on the sidewalk in fromt of the BIC Center. And Baroque REimangined gets underway on Friday with a series of virtual events and broadcasts here on WVBI. The opening night Gala with pianist Kevin Cole will be available online from Baroque at 7:30 Friday evening. Check the Baroque website for info on how to watch. Saturday, there’s another Gala online opening event with Martha Guth, also at 7:30.
Also Saturday, movies here at the BIC Center—a Marvel Superheroes Weekend. 4:00 show is Captain Marvel and the 7:00 show is Avenger’s Endgame. Both on the BIG screen with the BIG sound in the McDonough’s Market Theater. Concession stand will be open for both shows for snacks, a meal or both. Trailers on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org, our follow us on Facebook to see them.
And, remember, the Marine Museum and the Print Shop are open Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 11 to 5. Protar’s home is open Wednesdays from 11 to 1. And the south end lighthouse is open every day for self-guided tours.
There are weekend services at Holy Cross and Sunday services at the Christian Church and the Episcopal Mission. Times and details are on the calendar.
The BIC Center/WVBI 2020 Gala Auction is all online this year at auction dot BIC center dot org. Check it out, bid on something and when you win, all the proceeds go to support the BIC Center and W-V-B-I. You can also support the BIC Center and W-V-B-I by picking up a ticket for a chance to win the 2020 BIC Center-W-V-B-I Raffle. Grand prize is the Tracker fishing and sport boat parked out in front of the BIC Center. Tickets are available now at the BIC Center front desk or buy them online at raffle dot BIC Center dot org. Or get them from any PABU Board member.
Keep up to date on COVID-19 news with the W-V-B-I COVID-19 info page. Just go to W-V-B-I dot net and click on COVID-19 Info in the menu at the top. Remember: Protect yourself. Protect the island.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of your McDonough’s Market:
Today Partly sunny, with a high near 77. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 57. Northeast wind around 5 mph. Tuesday A 30 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. East wind around 5 mph. Tuesday Night Showers likely, mainly after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Wednesday Partly sunny, with a high near 80. Southeast wind around 10 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Wednesday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 58. Thursday Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 60. Friday A chance of showers after 8am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 84. Friday Night A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. Saturday A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Saturday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 66. Sunday A chance of showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 87.
Out on the big drink…
Today WNW wind 10 to 15 kt. Mostly sunny. Waves 1 to 3 ft. Tuesday Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Waves 1 ft or less. Wednesday SSE wind 5 to 10 kt becoming WNW in the afternoon. Partly sunny. Waves 1 ft or less.
Fire Danger Level: Low.
TRAFFIC: All the rain has pocked up the dirt roads. Be very wary if you aren’t used to driving on that. You’ll skip around more than you think and tear your vehicle up if you go to fast. Let’s be careful out there.
BIRTHDAYS: Missed a bunch while I was across and busy with the dentist. Deb Robert, Roger Lear, Angie Wojan and Sabrina Kenwabikise celebrated Thursday. Garrett Cole on Friday. On Saturday, Carol Runberg had a special birthday. Theresa Matela and Max Antinori celebrated on Sunday. Today, Zack Bosquet, Haylie Olson and Elizabeth Smelser are celebrating. Happy birthday to each of them, and if we missed you on the list, Happy birthday to you from all of us at WVBI and your Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DAY in 1969, there is one giant leap for humankind as an astronaut walks on moon. NASA’s Apollo 11 Lunar Module lands 238,855 miles from Earth in the Sea of Tranquility and six hours later Neil Armstrong exits the vehicle, descends a short ladder, and becomes the first human to walk on the moon. Minutes later, astronaut Buzz Aldrin will join Armstrong on the surface. Millions back home tune in to the historic event. (bing.com)
WORD OF THE DAY: derelict (adjective) [DAIR-uh-likt], which means: abandoned especially by the owner or occupant; also : run-down; lacking a sense of duty : negligent. The Latin verb relinquere, meaning “to leave behind,” left behind a few English derivatives, including derelict. Something derelict has been left behind, or at least appears that way. In another sense, someone who is derelict leaves behind or neglects their duties or obligations. Another descendant of relinquere is relinquish, meaning “to leave behind,” “to give up,” or “to release.” Relic is another example of a word that ultimately comes from relinquere. Relics, in the original sense of the term, referred to things treasured for their association with a saint or martyr—that is, objects saints and martyrs had left behind. Relinquere also gives English its name for the containers or shrines which hold relics, reliquary. (Merriam-Webster).
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island Thursday…
Here’s a thought for the day “You don’t have to be great to start, But you have to start to be great.” Why can’t you have a baroque concert at the poultry farm? The Chickens won’t stop shouting Free Bird.
IMAGINE A SAD TROMBONE SFX
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Monday, July 20th, 2020. I’m Kevin Boyle, reporting from the pest free Hogarth Pest Control Studios of the Voice of Beaver Island, wishing you a great day and asking: why not go ahead and make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###