News Update

Community Calendar for Friday, November 1st, 2019.

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the WVBI Community Calendar for Friday, November 1st, 2019. Wait. November? How did that happen so fast.
Here’s what’s happening on your island…
Today, Pickleball 10 to noon here at the BIC Center. They’ll be playing Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at the BIC Center now until the conference on faith series is done—then back to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at the BIC Center. And, also today at the BIC Center, Arthritis Foundation exercise program up in the Ray and Ann Stanhope Hangout. That’s at 10:30. And at 1, a special meeting of the St. James Planning Commission to discuss the marina project among other things. That’ll be at the Governmental Center.
Saturday, Pickleball at the BIC Center from 10 to noon. Movies at the BIC Center, too: The psychological thriller Luce at 4 and a heart string pulling documentary: The Sentence at 7.
Sunday, services at Holy Cross, the Lighthouse Fellowship and the Christian Church. Times and details are on the calendar. Also Sunday, a special meet and greet for the new director at the Health Center. That’ll be from 10:30 to 12:30. They’ll have some refreshments to share, so please drop by and say hello to the new director of our island health center.
Quiet next Monday.
Next Tuesday, Pickleball from 10 to noon here at the BIC Center. Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program at 10:30 up in the Hangout. A couple of meetings next Tuesday afternoon. Airport Commission has scheduled a special meeting for noon. That’ll be in the Community Room at the municipal Airport. B-I-C-S Board Policy Committee meets at school at 3:30. And next Tuesday evening, Ladies Shuffle Board at the Shamrock. That’ll be at 6. Continues weekly through next April. And finally, next Tuesday, Peaine Township Planning Commission has a meeting on the books for 7 at the Township Hall.
Next Wednesday, the Historical Society’s Picnic at the Point series continues. Noon out at Whiskey Point. And, next Wednesday evening, the St. James Township board meets at 5:30 at the Township Hall. Also next Wednesday evening, the Conference on Faith continues here at the BIC Center. That’ll be at 6.
Still one board looking for members…
And, the Health Center is also looking for two members for its board. Again, details in the Calendar. Applications are due by November 14, 2019.
You can find more information on all of these events and everything else that’s happening on the island at calendar dot w-v-b-I dot net.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of the good folks down at McDonough’s Market:
Today Scattered showers, mainly after 5pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 44. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tonight Periods of rain and snow showers, mainly before 2am. Low around 34. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Little or no snow accumulation expected. Saturday Scattered rain and snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Saturday Night A 30 percent chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Sunday A 40 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Sunday Night Showers, mainly after 8pm. Low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Monday Showers likely, mainly before 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 45. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Monday Night Rain showers likely before 4am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Tuesday A chance of rain and snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41. Tuesday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Wednesday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Wednesday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Thursday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
Out on the Big Drink… Today …SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH LATE TONIGHT… W wind 15 to 20 kt becoming SW in the afternoon. A chance of rain, mainly after 5pm. Waves 2 to 3 ft. Saturday W wind around 15 kt. A chance of rain. Waves 2 to 3 ft.
Water temps: 52 at the mid-lake buoy southwest of Gull. 48 at White Shoal. Fire Danger Level: Low.
TRAFFIC: No delays inbound or outbound to the airports. Deer and Turkeys apparently snuck into Paradise Bay Coffee shop or someplace to warmup this morning. I didn’t see any on the way in. But, I’m sure the Turkey protests will resume as the temperature warms up. So, let’s be careful out there—especially in the school zone.
BIRTHDAYS: Andrea Moore, Frank Solle, Lucas Pease and my sister Dr. Karen Flachs are celebrating today. Happy Birthday to Andrea, Karen, Lucas and Frank. And if we missed your birthday on the list, happy birthday from all of us at WVBI and your Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DATE in 1990, National American Indian Heritage Month is first observed. On August 3, President George H.W. Bush had approved a joint resolution designating November 1990 as National American Indian Heritage Month to celebrate native cultures, traditions, and history. Future presidents will reiterate the proclamation, changing the name to Native American Heritage Month. Also on this date in 1765, a New British tax leads to charges of ‘taxation without representation’ in the colonies. The new tax forces colonists in British America to pay a fee on legal documents and other papers to help fund British forces in North America. Colonists vehemently oppose the tax, organizing a resistance that will presage the American Revolution.
WORD OF THE DAY: apocryphal (uh-PAH-kruh-ful) which means of doubtful authenticity : spurious.
In Bible study, the term Apocrypha refers to sections of the Bible that are not sanctioned as belonging to certain official canons. In some Protestant versions, these sections appear between the Old and New Testaments. More generally, the word refers to writings or statements whose purported origin is in doubt. Consequently, the adjective apocryphal describes things like legends and anecdotes that are purported to be true by way of repeated tellings but that have never been proven or verified and, therefore, most likely are not factual. Both apocrypha and apocryphal derive, via Latin, from the Greek verbal adjective apokrýptein, meaning “to hide (from), keep hidden (from),” from krýptein (“to conceal, hide”). (Merriam-Webster)
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island for Friday…
Here’s a thought for the day from Will Rogers “Chaotic action is preferable to orderly inaction.”
On a lighter note: How do you know if you are talking to an extraterrestrial? They ask lots of probing questions.
SAD TROMBONE SFX EDIT.FLAC
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Friday, November 1st, 2019. I’m Kevin Boyle reporting from the pest free Hogarth pest control studios of the Voice of Beaver Island wishing you a great day and asking you: why not make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###