COVID-19

Governor urges a pull back for high schools, school sports, dining-in and other activities, but says she will not mandate action

As Michigan’s COVID-19 case count and hospitalization rates continue to soar, Governor Whitmer is urging high schools to shift to online instruction and a pull back from high school sports and in house serving at restaurants and bars across the state.  She is also urging residents to be vigilant by avoiding unnecessary trips, wearing masks and social distancing. But, for now at least, she says she will not mandate those changes.  Here on the island, the plan at BICS is to continue with in-person learning (except for a few students with contacts arising from the single positive test last week).  Islander teams have concluded their spring sports schedules, so there is no decision to be made on that front.

 

The positive test for a student came on the same day as another positive test, and they follow another positive test on March 25.  Since then the Health Center has run nine tests with all but the three positives back as negative.

 

There is still space in the COVID-19 vaccination clinic on Tuesday.  If you are 16 or older, live on the island, and haven’t been vaccinated—you should sign up for a shot (unless it you have a medical reason not to).  Sign up her: https://ph-northwestmi.as.me/beaverislandsch369bkw4k6h