News Update

Community Calendar for Wednesday, September 4th, 2019

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the WVBI Community Calendar for Wednesday, September 4th, 2019.
Here’s what’s happening on your island…
Today, Yoga is back after the break on Monday for its last few sessions of the summer. Restorative and Realignment Yoga at 9:30 in the McDonough’s Market Theater here at the BIC Center. B-I-H-S has a Picnic at the Point at noon. Topic is great Lakes shipwrecks. B-I-C-S Board Facilities Committee meets at 3:30 at school. St. James Township Board meets at the township hall at 5:30. No BINGO next Wednesday, but Bev’s Quilting Workshop is getting underway at the Greg Fellowship hall. That runs through the weekend.
Thursday, Pickleball at the municipal tennis courts—9:30 to 11:30. Tai Chi at the BIC Center at 9:30. Games Galore up on Carol’s hangout from 1 to 4. B-I-C-S Board Curriculum Committee meets at 3:30 at school.
Friday, Basic Yoga at the BIC Center at 9:30. Arthritis Foundation Exercise program upstairs in Carol’s Hangout at 10:30. Special movie showing Friday night. It’s Rocketman—Elton John’s life story with great music. Showtime is 5:30. Concession stand will be open for snacks or a meal. Trailer is on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org. No Art in the Harbor this Friday. They’ll be over at Holy Cross hall for the Irish festival. Speaking of which, next weekend is the Beaver Island Irish Feile or Festival. Things get started at noon on Friday. All sorts of activities with great music, dance, cultural demonstrations, movies, crafts, food and more. Visit the Cultural Center at Holy Cross Hall to register, to check out vendors, visit the tea room and see the traditional family hearth. There’ll be music at venues all over town—Irish and island music of course—and plenty of cultural activities, too. Talks at Holy cross hall and the community center. Continuous showing of Home on the Island here at the BIC Center stating Friday at noon—stopping only for scheduled events. If you haven’t seen Hom eon the Island, you need to. It tells the story of Irish migration to the island as well as the twinning of Beaver Island with Arron Mhor. For details, check out either the festival website at irish feile dot com—that’s f-e-i-l-e—or the Beaver Island Chamber website at beaver island dot org. The ful schedule with details on every event is on those sites and alos on our very own Community Calendar on the WVBI and BIC Center websites. Events continue through Saturday evening, with Home on the Island showing on Sunday, too.
Also Saturday, Pickleball on the Municipal Tennis Courts from 9:30 to 11:30. Movies here at the BIC Center. And, in all the Irish Fest flurry, don’t forget the Contra Dance Saturday evening. That’s at the Episcopal Mission at 7 with live music and lots of fun. Never Contra Danced? Don’t let that stop you. It’s easy and lots of folks will show you how. All the moves are called—so it is easy to get the hang of it…and lots of fun like we said.
Sunday, services at Holy Cross, the Christian Church, St. James Episcopal Mission and the Lighthouse Fellowship. Times and details are on the calendar.
Next Monday, both the Peaine Township Board and the B-I-C-S Board have meetings set – both at 7. Peaine in the township hall and the school board at school.
Next Tuesday, Pickleball at 10:00 on the municipal tennis courts. Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program at 10:30 here at the BIC Center up in Carol’s Hangout. Tuesday Night movie here at the BIC Center at 5:30. Show is The Wind. It’s a western horror story—a different take on both kinds of films. Lots of awards. It’s rated R, so for the grownups among us. Concession stand open for snacks and dinner. Also next Tuesday, the Peaine Township Planning Commission has a meeting set. That’s for 7 at Peaine Township hall.
You can find more information on all of these events and everything else that’s happening on the island at calendar dot w-v-b-I dot net.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of the good folks down at McDonough’s Market: Today Partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 63. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Thursday A 20 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Thursday Night A 50 percent chance of showers after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight. Friday A 30 percent chance of showers before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon. Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 67. Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 64. Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 44. Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 68. Monday Night A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Tuesday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. Out on the Big Drink… Today Small Craft Advisory in effect through this afternoon. NNW wind 10 to 15 kt. Sunny. Waves 1 ft or less. Thursday SW wind 5 to 10 kt. A slight chance of showers after 2pm. Waves 1 ft or less. Water temps: The lake is cooling—down a degree or more from yesterday at this time at every station we watch. 66 in Little Traverse Bay. 64 at the mid-lake buoy southwest of Gull. Down to 60 at White Shoal Fire Danger Level: last night will probably bring us to low, but no official word yet.
TRAFFIC: No delays inbound or outbound to the airports. Except for deer. Lots of deer. So, let’s be careful out there—especially in the school zone.
BIRTHDAYS: Marilyn Duda, Jenni Timsak, Jaqueline Remus and Alyeana Grogan. Happy birthday to Marilyn, Jenni, Jaqueline and Alyeana. And if we missed you on the list, happy birthday to you too from all of us at W-V-B-I and your Beaver Island Community Center.
Now, a look at Phyllis’s posts for the day: ON THIS DATE in 1886, Apache chief Geronimo surrenders to U.S. government troops. For 30 years, the mighty Native American warrior had battled to protect his tribe’s homeland; however, by 1886 the Apaches were exhausted and hopelessly outnumbered. General Nelson Miles accepted Geronimo’s surrender, making him the last Indian warrior to formally give in to U.S. forces and signaling the end of the Indian Wars in the Southwest.
DID YOU KNOW in 1881, Queen Victoria was on a tour on the Isle of Wight when her horse and carriage could not keep up with a woman riding a tricycle. The Queen made her servants identify the woman so she could demonstrate the tricycle to the Queen. Intrigued by the bike, the Queen proceeded to order two. She also asked that the inventor, James Starley, arrive with the delivery. Though you might associate tricycles with toddlers, Queen Victoria made them cool among the elite. Special deliveries are definitely a royal bonus.
WORD OF THE DAY minim (MIN-im) which means: 1 : a musical half note 2 : something very minute 3 : a unit of capacity equal to 1/60 fluid dram Like the more common minimum, minim derives from the Latin word minimus, meaning “least” or “smallest.” Musicians were the first to note its significance in the 15th century as a word for the half note. Chirographers soon adopted it as a word for a single downstroke in penmanship (such as any of the three in the letter m), and after careful analysis, apothecaries prescribed minim as a word for their smallest unit of liquid capacity. English speakers have also embraced minim as a general noun referring to things that are very small and as an adjective meaning “of the smallest size,” as in “a minim amount.”
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island Wednesday…
Here’s a thought for the day from Abraham Lincoln: “Everybody likes a compliment.”
On a lighter note: What did Homer Simpson say when he bumped into a pecan tree? Doh….nuts.
SFX: Trombone wah, wah wah….
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Wednesday, September 4th, 2019. I’m Kevin Boyle at the pest free Hogarth Pest Control Studios of the Voice of Beaver Island wishing you a great day and asking you: why not make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###