News Update

Community Calendar for Tuesday, September 10th, 2019

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the WVBI Community Calendar for Tuesday, September 10th, 2019.
First, some news…
Peaine Township Board met last evening. In addition to regular business, the board looked at draft tax rates for the coming year. Property values are up and there is an excess balance in a few funds so the rates were proposed to go down by 5.5% and the revenue down by 3%. That’s preliminary. Still some work and checking to do before the rates are adopted.
Telecom Committee reported to the board on their progress and requested funding for Quickstart study of options for improving service on the island. That was approved for $600. The board also agreed to hold a joint boards meeting with the committee to discuss a proposal for interim service improvements.
The question of increasing the budget for increased fuel costs at the airport came up. Trustee Paul Welke was concerned about the price paid for the fuel, which he believes will result in it being priced above what the market will. The Board agreed to discuss the issue with the Airport Commission, but the budget was increased to cover the additional cost of about $4,000.
Now, here’s what’s happening on your island…
Today, Pickleball at 10:00, almost certainly inside at the County Building where they play when it rains—which amazingly has happened only a few times all summer long. Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program at 10:30 here at the BIC Center up in Carol’s Hangout. Today at noon, the Beaver Island Transportation Authority holds their regular second Tuesday of the month meeting That’s at noon in their building just across from the ferry dock. Tuesday Night movie here at the BIC Center at 5:30. Film this week is The Wind. It’s a western horror story—a different take on both kinds of films. Lots of awards. It’s rated R, so for the grownups among us. Concession stand open for snacks and dinner. Also next Tuesday, the Peaine Township Planning Commission has a meeting set. That’s for 7 at Peaine Township hall.
Wednesday, the Historical Society had a Picnic at the Point planned, but the speaker had to cancel. So no Picnic at the Point this Wednesday, but they plan to be back next week and through November. BINGO is back next Wednesday at the Greg Fellowship hall. Doors open for fellowship at 6:15. Games at 7.
Thursday, Pickleball at the municipal tennis courts—10:00 to noon. Also next Thursday, the Northern Lake Michigan Islands Collaborative is meeting here at the BIC Center. It brings interested groups together with the D-N-R to work on management of stat elands in the archipelago. Meeting starts at 10 and runs to 4. Bring your own lunch. Everyone is welcome to attend. No Games Galore Thursday because of that meeting, but the B-I-C-S Board curriculum committee has a meeting set for 3:30 that afternoon.
Friday…Arthritis Foundation exercise program up in Carol’s Hangout here at the BIC Center.
Saturday, Pickleball from 10 to noon on the municipal courts. They say they are playing outside as long as the weather holds. Also Saturday, movies here at the BIC Center. The 4:00 show is Wild Rose. A young English woman with a bit of a checkered past chases her dream of becoming a country music star. Lots of awards for this great story. It’s rated R. Show at 7 is Dark Phoenix—another in the X-man series of stories—and this one is another great one. Rated PG-13. Concession stand will be open for snacks or a meal for both shows. Trailers are on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org.
Sunday: Services at Holy Cross, the Christian Church and the Lighthouse fellowship. Details are on the Calendar.
Monday: Saint James has a Finance Committee meeting at 1 at the Governmental Center. Monday evening, here at the BIC Center on the issues facing the townships in implementing the new recreational marijuana law. On the table, among other things, are what sorts of growing and sales operations will be permitted on the island, if any, and where. Folks from the Michigan State Extension service will be there to facilitate the discussion.
You can find more information on all of these events and everything else that’s happening on the island at calendar dot w-v-b-I dot net.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of the good folks down at McDonough’s Market: Today A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 2pm, then a slight chance of thunderstorms after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 76. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Tonight A slight chance of showers between 8pm and 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 53. Southwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Wednesday A 10 percent chance of showers after 5pm. Patchy fog before 9am. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 68. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Wednesday Night A 40 percent chance of showers after 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 50. East wind around 10 mph. Thursday Showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 66. Breezy, with an east wind 15 to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Thursday Night Showers. Low around 53. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Friday Showers, mainly before 2pm. High near 70. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Friday Night A chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 67. Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. Sunday Partly sunny, with a high near 72. Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 55. Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 75. Out on the Big Drink… Today SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING. SW wind around 20 kt, with gusts as high as 30 kt. Scattered showers and thunderstorms, mainly before noon. Waves 2 to 4 ft. Tonight SW wind 5 to 15 kt becoming NW after midnight. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 9pm. Waves 1 ft or less. Wednesday NNW wind 5 to 10 kt. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 5pm. Patchy fog before 9am. Waves 1 ft or less. Water temps: Down to 65 in Little Traverse Bay and 62 at the mid-lake buoy southwest of Gull. But, up to 62 at White Shoal Fire Danger Level: Low.
TRAFFIC: None, nada, zip. But, the roads are a slurry in places from all the rain overnight—and it is going to stay wet through Friday. So, let’s be careful out there—especially in the school zone.
BIRTHDAYS: Steve Drost, Bill Kohne and Dawn Johnson are celebrating today. Happy birthday to Dawn, Steve and Bill. And if we missed you on the list, happy birthday to you too from all of us at W-V-B-I and your Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DATE in 1897, a 25-year-old London taxi driver named George Smith becomes the first person ever arrested for drunk driving after slamming his cab into a building. Smith later pleaded guilty and was fined 25 shillings. Despite the stiff penalties and public awareness campaigns, drunk driving remains a serious problem in the United States. Each year, roughly 15,00 people die in alcohol-related crashes and almost 1.5 million people are arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
DID YOU KNOW based on an ancient papyrus document, Egyptian women urinated on wheat and barley seeds to determine if they were pregnant or not, according to the Office of History in the National Institutes of Health. If wheat grew, it predicted a female baby. If barley grew, it predicted a male baby. The woman was not pregnant if nothing grew. Experimenting with this seed theory in 1963 proved it was accurate 70 percent of the time.
WORD OF THE DAY: pell-mell (pel-MEL) which means: 1 : in mingled confusion or disorder 2 : in confused haste The word pell-mell was probably formed through a process called reduplication. The process—which involves the repetition of a word or part of a word, often including a slight change in its pronunciation—also generated such terms as bowwow, helter-skelter, flip-flop, and chitchat. Yet another product of reduplication is shilly-shally, which started out as a single-word compression of the question “Shall I?” For pell-mell, the process is believed to have occurred long ago: our word traces to a Middle French word of the same meaning, pelemele, which was likely a product of reduplication from Old French mesle, a form of mesler, meaning “to mix.” (Merriam-Webster)
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island Tuesday…
Here’s a thought for the day “Kindness is loaning someone your strength instead of reminding them of their weakness.”
On a lighter note: How do you know you’be been playing too much Candy Crush? You can only eat lollipops in threes and grouped by color.
SFX: Trombone wah, wah wah….
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Tuesday, September 10th, 2019. I’m Kevin Boyle at the pest free Hogarth Pest Control Studios of the Voice of Beaver Island wishing you a great day and asking you: why not make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###