News Update

Community Calendar for Tuesday, November 5th, 2019

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the WVBI Community Calendar for Tuesday, November 5th, 2019.
Now, here’s what’s happening on your island…
Today, Pickleball from 10 to noon here at the BIC Center. They’re be playing Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at the BIC Center now until the conference on faith series is done—then back to Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays at the BIC Center. Also today, Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program at 10:30 up in the Hangout. A couple of meetings this afternoon. Airport Commission has scheduled a special meeting for noon. That’ll be in the Community Room at the municipal Airport. B-I-C-S Board Policy Committee meets at school at 3:30. And Tuesday evening, Ladies Shuffle Board at the Shamrock. That’ll be at 7, which is a change up from 6. So, remember, Shuffleboard at 7.
Wednesday, the Historical Society’s Picnic at the Point series continues. Noon out at Whiskey Point. Topic is the Island’s History in Photos. And, Wednesday evening, the St. James Township board meets at 5:30 at the Township Hall. Also Wednesday evening, the Conference on Faith continues here at the BIC Center. That’ll be at 6.
Thursday, Games Galore here at the BIC Center from 1 to 4. B-I-C-S Board Curriculum Committee meeting at 3:30 at school. Euchre at Stoney at 7.
Friday, Pickleball 10 to noon here at the BIC Center. And, also today at the BIC Center, Arthritis Foundation exercise program up in the Ray and Ann Stanhope Hangout. That’s at 10:30.
Saturday, Pickleball at the BIC Center from 10 to noon. Movies at the BIC Center, too: Boy Genius at 4. Geeks unite. And a good old fashioned non-stop action flic at 7. It’s Fast and Furious: Hobs & Shaw with Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham and Idris Elba. Concession stand will be open for snacks or a meal. Or both. Trailers on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org.
Sunday, services at Holy Cross, the Lighthouse Fellowship and the Christian Church. Times and details are on the calendar.
Two meetings next Monday. B-I-C_S Board is meeting at 7 at school. Peaine Township board meets at 7 in the Township hall. Both of those are regular monthly meetings.
Still one board looking for members… The Health Center is looking for two members for its board. Again, details in the Calendar. Applications are due by November 14.
You can find more information on all of these events and everything else that’s happening on the island at calendar dot w-v-b-I dot net.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of the good folks down at McDonough’s Market:
Today Scattered snow showers, mainly before 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 35. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tonight Isolated snow showers after 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Wednesday A chance of snow showers before 10am, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. Wednesday Night A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Thursday A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Thursday Night Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Friday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 34. Friday Night A chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. Saturday A chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers between noon and 4pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Saturday Night Snow showers likely, mainly after 7pm. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Sunday Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 32. Sunday Night Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 19. Veterans Day A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29.
Out on the Big Drink… …SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON… Today WNW wind around 20 kt. A chance of rain, mainly before 10am. Waves 4 to 5 ft. Wednesday W wind around 15 kt. Rain likely, mainly between 9am and 1pm. Waves 2 to 4 ft.
Water temps: 52 at the mid-lake buoy southwest of Gull. 47 at White Shoal. Fire Danger Level: Low.
TRAFFIC: None, nada, zip. But, let’s be careful out there—especially in the school zone.
BIRTHDAYS: Today Anna Martell. Happy birthday to Anna. And if we missed your birthday on the list, happy birthday from all of us at WVBI and your Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DATE in 1912, Woodrow Wilson wins US presidency in landslide. Wilson, a Democrat, coasts to victory over not one but two former presidents, amassing 435 electoral votes. Republican incumbent William Howard Taft gets a measly eight electoral votes; Teddy Roosevelt, the Progressive Party candidate, claims 88. Also on this date in 1979, N-P-R’s Morning Edition debuts.
WORD OF THE DAY: posthaste (POHST-HAYST) which means: with all possible speed. In the 16th century, the phrase “haste, post, haste” was used to inform posts (as couriers were then called) that a letter was urgent and must be hastily delivered. Posts would then speedily gallop along a route with a series of places at which to get a fresh horse or to relay the letter to a fresh messenger. William Shakespeare was one of the first to use a version of the phrase adverbially in Richard II. “Old John of Gaunt … hath sent post haste / To entreat your Majesty to visit him,” the Bard versified. He also used the phrase as an adjective (a use that is now obsolete) in Othello: “The Duke … requires your haste-post-haste appearance,” Lieutenant Cassio reports to the play’s namesake. Today, the word still possesses a literary flair attributable to the Bard. (Merriam-Webster)
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island for Tuesday…
Here’s a thought for the day from Dr. Seuss “Step with care and great tact, and remember that life’s a great balancing act.”
On a lighter note: Why did the monkey cross the road? Because he was aping the chicken!
SAD TROMBONE SFX EDIT.FLAC
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Tuesday, November 5th, 2019. I’m Kevin Boyle reporting from the pest free Hogarth pest control studios of the Voice of Beaver Island wishing you a great day and asking you: why not make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.