News Update

Community Calendar for Thursday, July 16th, 2020

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Thursday, July 16th, 2020.
First, some news…
Governor Whitmer says that warding off a second wave of COVID-19 spread could once again shutter schools and businesses. The way to avoid that, she says, is for everyone to wear masks. There were 891 new cases confirmed yesterday by state health officials. Michigan’s Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun says that number is “very concerning.” She also noted that that the state-wide positive test rate has gone from 2.8% last week to 3.4%. It bears mention that that jump is entirely driven by events down state. The positive test rate in what t5he state calls the Traverse City region, which includes us has moved up a little, but remained well under the 3% at around 2%. The latest number is 1.9%. Up in the U-P, there was a more noticeable rise because they had been at an almost 0 positive rate for a month. They peaked at almost 2% the week of July 4th, but are now back down to a 1.1 percent positive test rate.
In addition to 891 new cases, the state reported 4 new deaths yesterday, putting the running average at 6, well within the range that statistic has been since Mid-June, which is the lowest it has bee since the start of the crisis. New case ticked up again, though, to 526 and will continue to climb with yesterday’s big jump in cases. Total confirmed cases across the state are now at 71,197. Total deaths at 6,085.
On the island, four new tests reported as run bringing the total to 122. Eight more tests are back as negative bring that number to 117. Four tests pending. Still, only one test has come back as positive, and that test would now be classified by the state as recovered. Meantime, the Townships have updated their COVID-19 guidance to remind all of the requirement to wear masks inside in public spaces and outside, too, where it is crowded. Social distancing is required everywhere, even on the beaches, the guidance reminds. [You can download the new guidance document here.]
In our region, the confirmed case count is up 19 cases to 398, and there have been two new deaths reported bring the total to 23. One of the newly reported deaths was in Benzie, which is their first. 10 of the new cases were here in Charlevoix County with a total now of 38. Emmet added two cases bringing them to 37. Grand Traverse added four for a total of 101. Kalkaska added one case , plus one new death-so they now have 30 cases and 3 deaths. Leelanau added one new case bring them to 45. And, after a long run with no new cases Otsego county added another for 108 total cases. Full county by county data are in today’s script. [Antrim 25 cases, still no deaths. Benzie is at 14 cases and one death. Charlevoix has 38 cases including one from the island, and two deaths. Emmet is at 35 with two deaths. Grand Traverse is at 101 cases with six deaths. Kalkaska has 30 confirmed cases three deaths. Leelanau at 45, no deaths. Otsego confirmed case count is at 108 with 10 deaths.] U-P is up 11 cases to 291. Death toll remains the same at 18.
If you’ve been down to grand Rapids, you’ve probably noticed the big building with the wave design on its side along the highway. Built in 2004 its been a newspaper print facility for many Michigan news papers. It’s owners announced yesterday that they are closing it and will move all printing for their eight Michigan newspapers to – Cleveland, Ohio. They say Michigan papers will still arrive at the same time barring traffic problems, which could never happen in Ohio. What with all the driving skill there. And bad football teams.
Now, here’s what’s happening on your island.
Meeting planner: Health Center Board meets Saturday at 9 in the Community Room at the Health Center. Next week, the Emergency Services Authority meets on Thursday at 2:00 at Peaine Township hall.
For fun, today is the Farmer’s Market. Grass may be wet, but the skies will be sunny for it. Runs from 9 to 10. Also, today, Pickleball from 9 to 10 on the municipal courts. They’ll be there again on Saturday. Games Galore up in Ray & Ann’s Hangout here at the BIC Center from 1 to 4. Marine Museum and the Print Shop are open tomorrow from 11 to 5. The museums will be open Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays for the rest of the summer for those hours, again 11 to 5. Protar’s home is open Wednesdays from 11 to 1. And the south end lighthouse is open every day for self-guided tours.
Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program is on tomorrow from 10:30 to 11:30 up in the Hangout And Movies this weekend: 4:00 show is Trolls: World Tour-it’s rated PG. Lots of fun for the whole family. And at 7:00, it’s the Fate of the Furious. Lots of fast cars, fast guys and fast gals. Lots of things crash. And blow up. PG-13. Concession stand will be open for both shows for snacks, a meal or both. Trailers on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org, our follow us on Facebook to see them.
There are weekend services at Holy Cross and Sunday services at the Christian Church and the Episcopal Mission. Times and details are on the calendar.
Have you stopped by the BIC Center/WVBI 2020 Gala Auction site yet? There are all sorts of great items up for bid. Check it out at auction dot BIC center dot org. And, don’t miss your chance to support the BIC Center and W-V-B-I by picking up a ticket to win the 2020 BIC Center-W-V-B-I Raffle. Grand prize is the Tracker fishing and sport boat parked out in front of the BIC Center. Tickets are available now at the BIC Center front desk or buy them online at raffle dot BIC Center dot org.
Keep up to date on COVID-19 news with the W-V-B-I COVID-19 info page. Just go to W-V-B-I dot net and click on COVID-19 Info in the menu at the top. Remember: Protect yourself. Protect the island.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of your McDonough’s Market:
Today Sunny, with a high near 83. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming east in the morning. Tonight Mostly clear, with a low around 65. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Friday Sunny, with a high near 85. Southwest wind around 10 mph. Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. South wind around 5 mph. Saturday A chance of showers between 2pm and 5pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 5pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 89. South wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Saturday Night A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely after 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 67. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before 8am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 8am. Partly sunny, with a high near 87. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Sunday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. Monday Mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Monday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Tuesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Tuesday Night A chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 62. Wednesday Mostly sunny, with a high near 84.
Out on the big drink…
Today Variable winds 5 kt or less. Patchy fog before 9am. Waves 1 ft or less. Friday WSW wind 10 to 15 kt. Sunny. Waves around 2 ft. Saturday SSW wind 10 to 15 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Waves 1 to 2 ft
Fire Danger Level: Moderate. But it will probably be low by the end of the day with the rain.
TRAFFIC: Roads are wet and slick. If you are visiting and have never driven on our dirt roads when they get really wet, be especially careful. You’d be surprised how slick they are. Let’s be careful out there.
BIRTHDAYS: Deb Robert, Roger Lear, Angie Wojan and Sabrina Kenwabikise are celebrating today, sharing a birthday with Will Ferrell. Happy birthday to each of them, and if we missed you on the list, Happy birthday to you from all of us at WVBI and the Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DAY in 1945, the Nuclear age begins in New Mexico. Architects of the Manhattan Project, including project director J. Robert Oppenheimer, gather in shelters 10,000 yards from ‘The Gadget’s’ detonation site in New Mexico and at 5:29 AM the world’s first nuclear bomb explosion, code-named Trinity, pierces the darkness with 20 kilotons of atomic power. In a few months time, atomic bombs dropped on Japan would bring an end to World War Two and usher in the Cold War. (
WORD OF THE DAY: callous (adjective) [KAL-us], which means: being hardened and thickened; having calluses; feeling no emotion; feeling or showing no sympathy for others : hard-hearted. A callus is a hard, thickened area of skin that develops usually from friction or irritation over time. Such a hardened area often leaves one less sensitive to the touch, so it’s no surprise that the adjective callous, in addition to describing skin that is hard and thick, can also be used as a synonym for harsh or insensitive. Both callus and callous derive via Middle English from Latin. The figurative sense of callous entered English almost 300 years after the literal sense, and Robert Louis Stevenson used it aptly when he wrote, in Treasure Island, “But, indeed, from what I saw, all these buccaneers were as callous as the sea they sailed on.” (Merriam-Webster).
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island Thursday…
Here’s a thought for the day from Winston Churchill: “You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks.” On a lighter note: How do you turn a mosquito into a fruit? You squash it.
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for, Thursday, July 16th, 2020. I’m Kevin Boyle, reporting from the pest free Hogarth Pest Control Studios of the Voice of Beaver Island, wishing you a great day and asking: why not go ahead and make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.