News Update

Community Calendar for Memorial Day, Monday, May 25th, 2020

From studios in the BIC Center on America’s Emerald Isle, this is the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Memorial Day, Monday, May 25th, 2020.
First, some news…
The COVID-19 Chicken finally came home to roost here on the island with the first reported positive COVID-19 test involving someone who had been on the island. The Northern Islander reported on Sunday that a person without symptoms being tested ahead of surgery had a positive test. Health Center director Tammy Radionoff says they are following the plan they had in place for such an event. Contact patterns for the patient are being traced and appropriate health authorities have been notified. The Northern Islander reports that the person had been off the island but had quarantined 14 days upon return.
That news comes just a day after Dalwhinnies and the Shamrock began to offer dine-in service while the BIC Center also opened again, though those changes appear to have had nothing to do with the positive test. Likewise, unrelated was Thursday’s reopening at McDonough’s Market, where limited in store shopping began. Over the weekend, Island Energies also re-opened to limited in store shopping. All the re-openings appear to have gone smoothly. The change was noticeable on the street that went from the deserted state of the last several months—with few cars passing and even fewer parked—to a more typical looking early spring day.
This weekend was probably the first in modern times when more people came to Beaver Island than went to Mackinac. That’s because Mackinac stuck to their plan to open next weekend with a soft start—plans in place well ahead of the Governor’s announcement last week that allowed northern Michigan and the U-P to begin a return to normal. They had no ferries running all weekend while Beaver Island’s Emerald Isle made daily trips and both Island Airways and Fresh Air were busy with passengers.
The positive test for the island along with additional testing now puts the Health Center reported stats as 42 patients tested, 41 back as negative and that one positive.
Apparently reflecting the delays in case reporting we’ve seen all along, the single positive test on the island wasn’t showing up in the data released by state officials on Sunday with Charlevoix County still showing 14 cases. Still, the confirmed case for the region was up two over the weekend to 203. Death toll is stable at 20. County by county, Otsego had one of the new cases bringing it to 100 and still 10 deaths. Emmet is stable at 21 with two deaths. Grand Traverse is at 23 cases with five deaths. Charlevoix still at 14 with one death (though we know that number should be up one to 15), Kalkaska had the other reported addition, up one confirmed case to 19 with two deaths, Antrim has 11 cases, still no deaths, Leelanau at 11, no deaths. And Benzie is at four cases and no deaths. Up in the U-P, they are up three to at 107 confirmed cases. Death toll is stable at 15.
Statewide, 314 new cases were reported and just five deaths—the lowest number of daily tragedies since March 21. That brings the total number of confirmed cases in the state to 54,679 and total deaths to 5,228. With recoveries at 33,168, up almost 5,000. That leaves just over 21-thousand active cases.
A few reminders. Island fire and E-M-S personnel want you to practice situational awareness. Don’t do things that put you at risk. Stay safe.
Governor’s orders now require you to wear face masks when in enclosed public spaces. Need a mask? Check with the Health Center. Probably makes sense to get in the habit of having one with you.
Keep up to date with the march back with the W-V-B-I COVID-19 info page. Just go to W-V-B-I dot net and click on COVID-19 Info in the menu at the top.
Here’s what’s happening on your island…
Today the AMVETS will hold a no-live-audience, scaled back ceremony to remember those who have sacrificed their life for our country along with all veterans. The altered format is to comply with the Governor’s order limiting gatherings to 10 people or less. Instead of coming down to Veteran’s Memorial Park to see the ceremony, you’ll be able to watch the event on Joe Moore’s News on the Net or listen to it tape-delayed here on WVBI—we’ll play it at noon. AMVET’s post commander Bob Tidmore says the ceremony will be shorter and smaller than normal, but no less sincere in honoring those with ties to the island that have served.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of your McDonough’s Market:
Memorial Day Isolated showers between 1pm and 2pm, then isolated showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 71. Southeast wind around 5 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Tonight Isolated thunderstorms before 11pm, then isolated showers and thunderstorms between 11pm and 2am. Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 51. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Tuesday Areas of fog before 10am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 69. Southwest wind around 5 mph. Tuesday Night A 30 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. South wind around 5 mph. Wednesday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph. Wednesday Night A 50 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Thursday A 50 percent chance of showers before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 65. Thursday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Friday Sunny, with a high near 61. Friday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 42. Saturday Sunny, with a high near 61. Saturday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 43. Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 61.
Out on the big drink… Today for Memorial Day Variable winds 5 kt or less. A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. Areas of dense fog. Waves 1 ft or less. Tuesday WSW wind 5 to 10 kt. A chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Areas of dense fog before 3pm. Waves 1 ft or less.
Remember, the water is still cold enough to kill you if you are in too long. Dress for the water, not the weather if you are out in small craft.
TRAFFIC: Picking up a bit, but no delays. Lots more folks out walking and biking then has been the case—probably more due to the nice weather than anything else. So, let’s be careful out there.
BIRTHDAYS: Shirley Sowa and Matthew Cull are celebrating today. Happy birthday to each and every one of them. And, if we missed you, Happy Birthday to you, too, from all of us at WVBI and your Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DAY in 1977, George Lucas’ space opera opens in theaters. His newest project hasn’t inspired much confidence at 20th Century Fox. It opens in only 32 theatres, its premiere pushed ahead of other, presumed, sure-fire summer hits. ‘Star Wars’ proves the naysayers wrong, becoming a blockbuster hit and an unstoppable cultural phenomenon. Also, on this date in 1787, forming a ‘more perfect union’ is debated in Philadelphia. What’s at stake for Philadelphia’s Constitutional Convention is no less than the formulation of a system to lead a newly born nation into a mature, and revolutionary, form of government. George Washington presides over a gathering of eminent minds to hammer out the details. (bing.com)
WORD OF THE DAY instigate (verb) [IN-stuh-gayt] which means: to goad or urge forward: provoke. Instigate is often used as a synonym of incite (as in “hoodlums instigating violence”), but the two words differ slightly in their overall usage. Incite usually stresses an act of stirring something up that one did not necessarily initiate (“the court’s decision incited riots”). Instigate implies responsibility for initiating or encouraging someone else’s action and usually suggests dubious or underhanded intent (“he was charged with instigating a conspiracy”). Another similar word, foment, implies causing something by means of persistent goading (“the leader’s speeches fomented a rebellion”). Deriving from the past participle of the Latin verb instigare, instigate stepped into English in the 16th century, after incite and ahead of foment. (from Merriam Webster)
Now, to wrap up for this neoteric Beaver Island Monday…
Here’s a thought for the day on this Memorial Day from an anonymous contributor: “Take a moment to think about the significance of sacrificing a life so that we might enjoy freedom.” And, among the things that freedom brings, happily, is the chance to laugh at ourselves. So, on a lighter note on this Memorial Day: Who rules over the Barbecue? Sir Chars-a-lot..
IMAGINE A SAD TROMBONE SFX
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for this Memorial Day Monday, May 25th, 2020. I’m Kevin Boyle reporting from the pest free Hogarth Pest Control Studios of the Voice of Beaver Island wishing you a great day and asking: why not go ahead and make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###