News Update

Community Calendar for Friday, November 8th, 2019

This is the WVBI Community Calendar for Friday, November 8th, 2019.
First, some news…
St. James Township Board met Wednesday evening and the B-I-A’s Dick Mulvihill was there to cover things for the B-I-A and W-V-B-I. The meeting covered a lot of ground. Notable discussion concerned progress on the Anderson Marina project. With the closing of the deal, the township is busy working with the Andersons and the Woolham Foundation on transition matters. The Woollham project manager will be on the island next week to go over a transition tasks list. Already on the list is securing the docks for the winter. The bublers are out for maintenance and should be back to be installed soon., along with two new units. Dock work is also underway along with some transition training on winterizing the marina facilities. The Board also discussed major goals for the coming year. Key on the list are recycling and trash management. Also, looking at horong a joint grant writer for both townships.
Here’s what’s happening on your island…
Today, Pickleball 10 to noon here at the BIC Center. And, also today at the BIC Center, Arthritis Foundation exercise program up in the Ray and Ann Stanhope Hangout. That’s at 10:30.
Saturday, Pickleball at the BIC Center from 10 to noon. Movies at the BIC Center, too: Boy Genius at 4. Geeks unite. And a good old fashioned non-stop action flick at 7. It’s Fast and Furious: Hobs & Shaw with Dwayne Johnson, Jason Statham and Idris Elba. Concession stand will be open for snacks or a meal. Or both. Trailers on the BIC Center website at BIC Center dot org.
Sunday, services at Holy Cross, the Lighthouse Fellowship and the Christian Church. Times and details are on the calendar.
Monday is Veteran ‘s Day, remembering all veterans and the end of the war to end all wars at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month in 1918. The AMVETs will help us all remember with a special ceremony at B-I-C-S at 11. The entire community is invited to join in the remembrance in the school gym. Two meetings next Monday. B-I-C-S Board is meeting at 7 at school. Peaine Township board meets at 7 in the Township hall. Both of those are regular monthly meetings.
Next Tuesday, Pickleball from 10 to noon here at the BIC Center. And, Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program at 10:30 up in the Hangout. B-I-A has a board meeting planned for Next Tuesday. 4 in the administrative conference room at school. All members are welcome to attend as well as the general public. Next, Tuesday evening, Ladies Shuffleboard at the Shamrock. That’ll be at 7. And the Peaine Township Planning Commission has a meeting set for 7 at the township hall.
Next Wednesday, the Historical Society’s Picnic at the Point series concludes for 2019. Noon out at Whiskey Point. Topic is a review of a very busy year for the Historical Society and probably a peak ahead at next year-plus, maybe a construction update. Footings are in for the addition and the plan remains to have it under roof before year-end. Discover Beaver Island Planning Group has their monthly meeting set for next Wednesday at 5. They are working on developing and coordinating events for next year. They hatched the team that built the Irish Festival and are working on another event to add for next year. Be part of the planning if you are interested. All are welcome. Chamber director Paul Cole will lead the session. Also, next Wednesday evening, the Conference on Faith continues here at the BIC Center. That’ll be at 6.
Next Thursday, Games Galore here at the BIC Center from 1 to 4. And, the B-I-C-S Curriculum Committee meets at 3:30 at school.
A reminder that the Health Center is looking for two members for its board. Details in the Calendar. Applications are due by November 14.
You can find more information on all of these events and everything else that’s happening on the island at calendar dot w-v-b-I dot net.
Weather, here there and everywhere – presented every day with the support of the good folks down at McDonough’s Market:
Today Scattered snow showers, mainly between 10am and 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tonight Periods of snow showers, mainly after 11pm. Steady temperature around 31. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches. Saturday Snow showers before 9am, then rain and snow showers between 9am and 11am, then rain showers likely after 11am. High near 38. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible. Saturday Night Rain showers likely before 7pm, then rain and snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a low around 29. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow accumulation expected. Sunday A chance of rain and snow showers before 3pm, then a chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. Sunday Night A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. Veterans Day Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 25. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Monday Night Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Tuesday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Tuesday Night A chance of snow showers before 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. Wednesday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 31. Wednesday Night A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 23. Thursday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
Out on the Big Drink… Today NW wind 5 to 15 kt becoming WSW in the afternoon. Snow likely before 11am, then a chance of rain and snow. Waves 1 to 2 ft.Saturday WSW wind 15 to 25 kt. Rain, mainly before 1pm. Waves 7 ft subsiding to 4 ft.
Water temps: They are dropping. 50 at the mid-lake buoy southwest of Gull. 45 at White Shoal. Fire Danger Level: Low.
TRAFFIC: None, nada, zip. But, let’s be careful out there-especially in the school zone.
BIRTHDAYS: I’m off the island and don’t have our birthday list, so if it is your birthday today-sorry for missing it. Happy birthday to you from all of us at WVBI and your Beaver Island Community Center.
ON THIS DATE in 1895, physicist Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen (1845-1923) becomes the first person to observe X-rays, a significant scientific advancement that would ultimately benefit a variety of fields, most of all medicine, by making the invisible visible. Rontgen’s discovery occurred accidentally in his Wurzburg, Germany, lab, where he was testing whether cathode rays could pass through glass when he noticed a glow coming from a nearby chemically coated screen. He dubbed the rays that caused this glow X-rays because of their unknown nature.
WORD OF THE DAY: lyric (LEER-ik) which means: 1 a : suitable for singing to the lyre or for being set to music and sung b : of, relating to, or being drama set to music; especially : operatic 2 a : expressing direct usually intense personal emotion especially in a manner suggestive of song b : exuberant, rhapsodic 3 of an opera singer : having a light voice and a melodic style To the ancient Greeks, anything lyrikos was appropriate to the lyre. That elegant stringed instrument was highly regarded by the Greeks and was used to accompany intensely personal poetry that revealed the thoughts and feelings of the poet. When the adjective lyric, a descendant of lyrikos, was adopted into English in the 1500s, it too referred to things pertaining or adapted to the lyre. Initially, it was applied to poetic forms (such as elegies, odes, or sonnets) that express strong emotion, to poets who write such works, or to things meant to be sung. Over time, it was extended to anything musical or rhapsodic. Nowadays, lyric is also used as a noun naming either a type of poem or the words of a song. (Merriam-Webster.com)
Now, to wrap up for this Beaver Island for Friday …
Here’s a thought for the day from Jeremy Irons: “We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they’re called memories. Some take us forward, they’re called dreams.”
On a lighter note: What’s it called when you wake up thinking it’s a work day and then it turns out it’s the weekend? Sadder….YAY!!!!!
SAD TROMBONE SFX EDIT.FLAC
That’s the W-V-B-I Community Calendar for Friday, November 8th, 2019. I’m Kevin Boyle reporting from the pest free Hogarth pest control studios of the Voice of Beaver Island wishing you a great day and asking you: why not make it the best day ever? And, thanks for listening.
###