37830 King's Highway
Beaver Island, Michigan, 49782
St James Township is seeking applications for the position of a trustee for the Beaver Island Transportation Authority (BITA). The responsibilities of the trustee are summarized below. The vacancy will be appointed for the remainder of the current term (through September 2021). The candidate appointed shall reside within St James.
BITA is the owner of the M/V Emerald Isle and is responsible for overseeing funding for maintenance and equipment for the operation.
The following Core Skills are Important:
- Transportation Issues – Work with the Beaver Island Boat Co (BIBCO), the operator of the M/V Emerald Isle in effectively providing transportation and freight services for island community
- Government Operations – Knowledge of federal, state, and local transportation funding (not required, but helpful)
- Interpersonal Skills – Communicates effectively, Listens attentively, Works effectively with individuals, Possesses knowledge of what constitutes ethical behavior, Demonstrates behavior that results in public trust, Manages adversity and hostility effectively
- Leadership Abilities – Possesses vision, especially relative to the ferry, Utilizes consensus-building techniques
- Policymaking Skills – Knows how to critically examine proposals to evaluate how the proposed policies and practices could affect the authority, operator, and future ferry transportation. Utilizes effective research techniques to become more knowledgeable about matters that come before BITA
BITA meets at 12 noon the second Tuesday of each month. More information on BITA can be obtained at beaverislandtransportationauthority.com
Applications must be submitted by October 25, 2019. Any interested applicants must submit a letter of interest explaining how they can carry out the responsibilities and how their individual skills will benefit BITA. Letters must be submitted by email to:
Supervisor Kathleen McNamara, firstname.lastname@example.org