COVID-19 “Known-Exposure” Testing protocols:
• Isolate immediately; wait until at least 5 days have elapsed after exposure to be tested as the virus needs to replicate to a ‘testable’ level.
• If symptoms occur either before or after the 5 days, call the BIRHC to get tested.
• If NO symptoms occur, it is up to the individual to decide whether to be tested or not based on the type/time of exposure, etc.
• If you experience any of the following symptoms, always get tested:
- § Fever or chills
§ Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
§ Muscle or body aches
§ Recent loss of taste or smell
§ Nausea or vomiting
• Whenever you are tested, you should always isolate until negative results are confirmed. Results from the lab are typically received within 48 to 72 hours, depending on current testing volumes.
The number of ‘Patients Tested Positive’ on the Beaver Island Rural Health Center website has not changed as the most recent positive exposure was tested on the mainland after leaving the Island while experiencing symptoms. Only positives from tests conducted on the Island are reflected in these numbers.
If you have any questions, please contact the Health Center at 231-448-2275.